Monday, October 29, 2012

Sticky Notes & Marana

  Added ~35 lbs to the car by installing air conditioning that I previously removed only a year earlier.   Also switched to the quieter Enthuza/Borla muffler which is a few pounds heavier.

Speedway Motors 2012 SCCA Solo Nationals Championships Music Video

   Earlier transmission shifting issues were resolved by bleeding the slave cylinder.

  My co-driver and I visited our Arizona friends at Marana for a two day autox event October 27-28 hosted by the Border Region SCCA.  A large flat asphalt surface at the regional airport gains grip throughout the day as a line is created on the dusty surface.  Great hospitality from the AZ crew and a couple fun and challenging courses make the 400 mile drive worth it, even though my AC went out and I killed the Toyos.  RESULTS

PS. Try the bacon wrapped steak skewers at Boston's.





  Rev limit reduced down to 7500 just to be easy on the engine.  This engine has solid lifters and reportedly softer valve springs than the previous NA8 engine, and the shim on bucket design can be troublesome at extended rpm.

   The car seems to turn better on left-hand turns, I think. Or it could be old tires.  Difficult to know what is going on because of the extreme camber changes at Qualcomm's West lot and the SE lot drainage is poor leaving a dirty surface in select areas.
















   Marana is at 2600 ft. elevation but engine power felt quite good even with daytime temperatures in the high 80s.  As the surface cleaned up and gained grip I was forced to deal with more and more understeer, probably mostly due to the worn out tires, nearly bald with 4K+ street miles and 170+ runs, and my lazy ass did not feel like raising the rear ride height to help the car turn.  No water sprayer for tire cooling and air pressures were neglected.






   I purchased a new radiator but it sits in a box in my living room. It is one of the few parts that has not failed...yet.  Well, that and the timing belt.  My AC failure at Marana was simply a tensioner pulley nut that backed out and the pulley fell off during saturday's event.  No damage done, but I lost a spacer and had to wait till I got home to get a replacement washer and put it all back together.




No comments:

Post a Comment