Monday, November 12, 2012

As Fate Would Have It...

   There is a certain noise that a squeaky bed spring makes when you bounce up and down on a mattress.  Who would have guessed it is the same noise that a failing drive shaft u-joint makes on a Miata.

OEM front brake pads















   Chasing the noise for a couple weeks,  I first assumed the squeak was my newly installed AC belt/pulleys or the worn out brakes, so I replaced the brake pads on all four corners and while my hands were dirty I also installed my newly purchased radiator.


A/C compressor and idler pulley

















   The squeak was still there and now my concerns focused on the clutch which is only a few months old.  Amazed was I when my mechanic Rocky immediately diagnosed the u-joint problem as I backed into his shop.






 









Just an FYI, the noise is most prominent under deceleration and when driving in reverse, and when inspecting my faulty front u-joint there was barely any noticeable slop.  The Miata's power plant frame keeps the driveline in shape so any wheel hop or vibration issues normally associated with a bad u-joint do not appear until the failure gets worse.




 











Unfortunately, the Miata u-joints are sealed and not easily serviceable.  I purchased a new (rebuilt) replacement driveshaft from an on-line parts supplier that has new u-joints with zerk fittings and fully balanced ready to install.




 










I took a few days last weekend to help out instructing at Imagine Lifestyles, a supercar rental arrive-and-drive style event, and got a little left seat time couple of different Lamborghinis - LP560-4 Spyder and the LP550-2 Balboni (pictured).  Great cars.


No comments:

Post a Comment