Friday, September 28, 2012

Now What? (updated with less bitching)

   Consider this the beginning of the end of this STR Miata drama.  I do not feel like continuing with this build or advancing the car in any way, but I will continue to autox regionally until I figure out what my next big move is.

   My decision is mostly based on the level of preparation required and cost involved to be at the pointy end of the field.  The biggest major improvement needed is more power with a properly built first overbore engine tuned for E85. The Wootton car I drove at Solo Nationals had a fresh engine on pump gas and was noticeably more peppy than my car.  Second improvement would be some fancy multi-adjustable race shocks because the more I learn and drive I am starting to see and feel the limitations of my Koni yellows.  Having driven a Delrin bushing equipped STS Miata I know how well that works and want to make those improvements too.  Still trying to keep the car streetable and a daily driver while creeping down the path to CSP is more than I can handle at this time.

  Some of my results have been encouraging and I think I have learned what I needed to know and proved to myself and others what has been believed and said all along; the NB Miata in Street Touring Roadster can be somewhat competitive in the right hands.

  Knowing what I now know and if I had a bigger budget, I would start an NB Miata build with a 2003 ClubSport or clone mostly because the VVT engine.  Just an FYI for anyone that may be following along or interested in their own build....



















   I would hate to get rid of my 99 because it makes a good daily driver and should remain very reliable especially considering how many new parts have been replaced since I bought it eleven months ago.  For daily driving and commuting comfort, my current idea is to re-install the air conditioning system, raise the ride height a little, and install my larger muffler.

 Although officially not for sale (yet), I am open to offers and would be specifically interested in trading for an 87-88 Mustang Coupe V8 5 Speed, preferably clean and unmolested or with easily reversible modifications.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment