Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Event #2

   Another championship SCCA autox event at the Q with a fast course gives me more valuable seat time.  The 4.30:1 rear gearing feels great but limits my maximum second gear speed, thus I was riding the limiter on this particular course for more than I hoped.  For faster courses I will need to shift to 3rd or extend the rev limiter beyond my current 7700 rpm - expected, but not something I am thrilled about. Fortunately, I expect most SCCA Tour, Pro, and National courses to be a tick slower than today's offering.




Sorry about the video's sound quality; it seems that youtube doesn't work well with .mov files and the sound is borked and then dropped halfway through the run.  Although the Contour camera was cheap and is simple to operate, the QT format is not my preference and something I was not expecting.

Transitionally the car is loose, especially on corner entry, but with great feel in the sweepers.  A rear toe measurement after the event shows I have 1/4" total toe in, and my rake is nearly flat with 1/8" higher in the rear measured at the pinchweld.  The traditional fender to hub measurement reads just more than 3/8" higher in the rear.  To help settle the car I have a few options including lowering the rear ride height or installing the 1.25" Racing Bear front sway bar.  The next autox practice is scheduled for March 3rd.

Event Results
Don't read too much into the results, as we had some rain in San Diego and the course was wet early morning and mostly dry by noon. STR ran 4th group in the dry.  Once again, the Toyo magic gave me an effortlessly quick first run that turned out to be my best raw time, but plus 2 cones. 


The lightweight Enthuza XR muffler got replaced by the Enthuza Speeder which will easily pass the local sound restrictions and yet has a great note.


No comments:

Post a Comment