Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunday San Diego

  Again, show up early to the Q and make some minor changes to the STR Miata after a promising practice event on Saturday.  Some used Hawk HPS brake pads come in handy and are quickly installed at the rear to replace the ultra grabby HP+.  Toe plates and a few wrenches bring to front toe measurement back to what I prefer, about 1/16" total toe in.

  Unfortunately, the sound meter placement on Saturday was beyond pathetic and as a result I did not get accurate sound readings for my minimalistic exhaust at the practice.  Sunday's meter location was decent and I was recorded between 90.2 db and 91.0 db on all four competition runs.  Acceptable per the region with a limit of 93 db @ 50 ft, but louder than I feel comfortable with.
















STR class runs late morning in the second group with bright sunshine and warm temperatures, and the class was full of great talent in very well equipped cars.   My first run I find a down cone and get a rerun.  Get the water sprayer and hit the Toyos. My second run was my first official timed run and it was my fastest time of the day but plus one cone.  Water the Toyos again.  Second, third, and fourth runs were all consistent and clean, I think, but a tenth or two slower than my first.  Should have brought the Hankooks.





Final results put me in third place in STR, over a second behind first, with fourth through seventh places within a tenth. Official Results Here.

 With the brake and toe changes complete, the car was more predictable and easier to drive.  Balance is excellent, motor feels strong, and the Torsen LSD puts the power down smoothly.  Overall, I am happy that the car came together so quickly and that it performs well.

No comments:

Post a Comment